Installing Spybot Search & Destroy
Click here to download Spybot Search & Destroy. Save the file to your
desktop. When you have downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy, double-click on the
executable (.exe) file.
- Select the language to use during the installation and click OK.
- On the Welcome screen click Next.
- On the License Agreement screen, select "I Accept the agreement" and click
- On the Select Destination Location screen click Next.
- On the Select Components screen click Next.
- On the Start Menu Folder screen click Next.
- On the Select Additional Tasks screen click Next.
- On the Ready to Install screen click Install.
- After Spybot Search & Destroy has installed click Finish.
- When initially launched, Spybot Search & Destroy will ask you to create a
registry back up. Click the Create registry backup button.
NOTE: You can safely ignore any compatibility warnings between Spybot
Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware, if you have Ad-Aware installed as well.
- After creating a registry backup, Spybot Search & Destroy will prompt you
to check for product updates. While connected to the Internet, click the
Search for updates button. If updates are found, click the Download
all available updates button.
Updating and Using Spybot Search & Destroy
You should update and run Spybot Search & Destroy on a regular basis to check
for and remove spyware.
- Start Spybot Search & Destroy by double-clicking on the Spybot Search &
Destroy icon your desktop or selecting Spybot Search & Destroy from the Start
menu (Start > All Programs > Spybot Search & Destroy > Spybot Search &
- While connected to the Internet, click the Search for Updates
- If updates are available, click on Download updates to download and
install the updates.
Note: If you receive a "Bad Checksum" error, change the
Network to check for updates to Safer Networking #2 (Europe)
and click Download Updates again.
- After downloading updates, click the Search & Destroy icon on the
left, then click the Check for problems button to scan your computer.
- If spyware problems are detected, click the Fix Selected problems
button, then click Yes and OK to confirm the removal of the
NOTE: You may wish to use the Immunize feature of Spybot Search &
Destroy, which will prevent many spyware programs from being installed on your
computer in the first place. Click the Immunize icon on the left, then
click the Immunize button at the top of the screen.